Tuesday 29 May 2007

Carnival of the Mobilists #75

Well, it's another carnival, and I'm privileged to participate in this one.

As always, there are lots of good posts that give you a good feel for the directions in which the mobile industry is heading. Make sure you have a look around Andreas Constantinou's site, which is hosting the carnival this week. He has quite a number of thought-provoking posts (I must confess I don't agree with everything he says, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting or worth reading).

The carnival has a very "web services" sort of feel to it this week, as the mobile world gets more caught up in the Web 2.0 circus. I was interested to read that there is a difference between the Mobile Web 2.0 and Mobile 2.0. I'm still not really sure why anyone would use a term like Mobile 2.0, but I guess it conveys some of the meaning that it's a collision of the traditional telecoms world with the Internet world.

Having experience working with both (including projects with a sophisticated OSI networking stack), I remain cynical about how well Internet protocols can replace telecoms ones. But then, I use VoIP as my main outgoing telecoms for my home and work phones, so I guess it can do a half-decent job...

Anyway, check out the posts, and stay tuned for Smart Phone or Mobile Browser - Part II here in the next couple of days, where I'll discuss the Mobile Web 2.0 (and its alternatives) at more length.

No comments: